Friday, September 21, 2007

Day 16 - Diversity

It is the diversity we bring to each other. Where I live is culturally diverse and I am all the better for it. I love to travel and would hope to do much more of it, but I am grateful for the exchange of culture when I have the opportunity. We experienced Goytaku, which means fish rubbing at a friends house. Her father who is visiting showed us this art. I love the brush!
First you prepare the fish by cleaning off the slime. Wine gets rid of the smell :-)
The fish is carefully painted with sumi ink. The eye is usually left unpainted.
Carefully place thin paper, rice paper here on top and begin to gently press the paper, making sure to get all the details of the fin, mouth. We used a sponge.
Gently pull the paper up and....
tada!!! Fish print.
Keeping with the theme we ate a Japanese restaurant in town (a gift from 2 yoga students). Delicious.
Thank you to Kei and her mom and dad.
Arigato.

No comments: